A literary award, magazine, community, and school, all in one.
Here’s what you’ll accomplish:
- Master the business of storytelling: Go from beginner to advanced techniques in writing, storytelling, and publishing, guided by our roster of industry professionals.
- Level up your fiction: Dial in your abilities by writing new stories for our magazine, award, challenges, and games each month.
- Join the next generation of emerging authors: Surround yourself with a supportive community to celebrate wins and help you grow.
- Get published and paid like a professional: We’re exclusively for new writers, so you won’t be competing against big name authors, but you’ll still earn a pro rate for your work.
By joining us, you’ll be able to cultivate a writing life that jumpstarts your career.
Meet The Pros:
Award-winning authors, agents, editors, publishers, podcasters, Hollywood screenwriters, bloggers, writing coaches, and more.
- 30+ hours of courses: Our library of education is constantly growing
- Decades of combined experience: Acquire knowledge from across the industry
- Live trainings weekly: Meet the experts and ask your most burning questions
- Series and stand-alone lessons: Everything you need for a successful author career.
Trainings include: Actionable Agent Advice, Self Pub Prep, Scene Critique Masterclass, Funny Business, Publishing For Non-Pros, Using Kickstarter as an Author, Understanding Contracts, Adding Depth to Characters, and so much more.
On a mission to help emerging authors now
An impactful, positive force to change the publishing world for the better.
Into the hands of new authors in under 2 years.
Over 200 stories published.
All by emerging talent earning their first few professional writing credits.
$3000 award granted every single month.
24+ winners to date.
2 authors winning on their very first submission, anywhere.
1 month response after submission window.
Exclusive rights expire quickly. Resell your story 2 months after publication.
Always open for subs.
What’s inside Elegant Literature?
One of the largest awards open to unpublished writers and closed to professionals.
- Every single month: Not annually – monthly. And no 6 month judging periods either. Know the results fast.
- Unlimited entries: Some contests charge as much as $25 per submissions, but not us.
- All Genres: Every month has a theme and a prompt to get your imagination going, but you can always write the story you want to tell.
- Honorable Mentions: 35 writers receive money every month.
Even if you’re brand new to writing, you can learn what you need for a successful career, fast.
- Better than a blog: Instructional articles covering Writing & Storytelling, Business & Publishing, and Lifestyle & Mindset
- Live Trainings: All that expert knowledge we talked about earlier
- On demand education: Learn at your own pace, about the topics you’re most interested in
- Continuously updated: 30+ hours of recorded lessons, tons of articles, with more added every week
Get support, celebrate wins, and grow together with the next generation of fiction authors.
- Choose your feedback: Separate areas for Only Nice Things and Tear It To Shreds
- Historical Database: We log all questions and interesting discussions, so you can learn from conversations in years past
- White-glove writing groups: We’ll place you in a small, dedicated group of 5 according to your preferences. Fully managed by us, just write
- Grow your socials: Connect with members via our social media spreadsheet and build an audience together
We’re always evolving and looking for new ways to help emerging authors.
- Partner discounts: $400+ in savings on editors and services like Scrivener and ProWritingAid
- Meet the editor: The editor participates in the community and trainings, and answers your questions
- Free ebook: The Award-Winning Short Story Master Checklist has helped hundreds improve their fiction
- Support the revolution: Directly help make the publishing world a more welcoming place for budding talent. Have a say in what we do next
Why is there a membership fee?
Many contests fund their prizes through submission fees, which can be $10-$25 per story. We fund our prizes and the magazine through memberships, which allows us to provide you maximum value for the minimum price. Unlimited submissions, plus community, plus education, for the cost of one submission elsewhere.
What are the fees used for?
Membership fees are used to pay the winners, purchase work from writers like yourself, produce the magazine, and hire educators. Excess money is used to increase future prize value and buy greater quantities of work in accordance with our goal of promoting new authors.
Do I have to pay to be published?
No. You can have a free membership and submit work to the magazine. Only contest entries and education require a paid membership.
Who can enter the contest? Is there an age limitation?
Anyone, worldwide (excluding Quebec), can enter the contest as long as they are an Elegant+ member and are 13 years of age or older, though we ask professional authors not to enter.
Can I receive feedback on my work?
We have a supportive community who are happy to collaborate and provide feedback.
When does the contest close?
Contests close at 11:59 pm EST on the last day of each month.
What is a “new writer”?
Part of our mission is to promote new talent, so we ask authors with certain levels of publication history not to enter.
Please do not submit work if you have:
a) traditionally published a novel of greater than 40,000 words,
b) self-published a novel of greater than 40,000 words and earned $1000,
c) sold four or more works of short fiction to markets paying 8c/word or greater,
d) self-published short fiction work totalling 10,000 words or more, with profits in excess of $1000.
e) won fiction contests with cumulative prizes greater than $1000.
Published authors can still join the community and participate in the Community Workshops.
If you have not met any of the thresholds above, you are considered a new writer in the eyes of Elegant Literature, and are eligible to enter the contest and submit to the magazine.
You’ve reached the bottom of the page. Time to make a decision.